Sunday 18 November 2018

Practical - Initial Ideas

Initially I began by brainstorming ideas for the practical work, looking for an idea that would answer a question or pose a theory in a new light. I was immediately drawn to the idea of using my research in order to make a feminist publication, which would attempt to try new and interesting practices to engage a younger audience and truly depict intersectional feminism.

I then began thinking about what the name of the magazine could be. I found 'Double X' could have been an interesting idea, to signify two X chromosomes women have and to suggest two kisses, which could have been an ongoing theme. However, ethically this does exclude women who are transgender and not biologically female. So the idea of calling it 'Headstrong' was developed. This seemed to convey an empowering stance and also rebel against the idea of men telling women they are 'foolish and headstrong' when they are emotional or passionate.


I then began to consider the types of articles that could be used in the article. It was important to organise these early on in order ensure there could be interesting visuals and intersectional themes running throughout the magazines. I began contacting people that I thought would be interested in writing an article for the magazine and thinking about their interests and thoughts as a feminist. I also started to consider the historical texts and pamphlets I'd read that showed the depth of feminist publications throughout the 20th Century. For example, 'The Myth of the Vaginal Orgasm' written in the 1970s could be something that I rework and present in a modern context.

No comments:

Post a Comment